Monday, December 8, 2008

GOTCHA!!!








Today was our Gotcha Day for Maggie. That's international adoption lingo for the day your child is given to you. Our appointment was at 2:30 p.m. and I was so nervous by 1:45 that my hands were shaking. Our guide and a driver shuttled us to a government office where 10 or 12 other families were waiting. One by one the caretakers brought out the children. There was a lot of crying (mostly from the new parents). Then we saw a nanny walking through the crowd holding the hands of two children. The smaller one was Maggie. (We knew immediately because of her chubby cheeks.) She was not afraid at all, just a little nervous. But she was laughing and having fun as soon as we met her. This little girl has loads of personality and already knows about 10 or 12 English words, all from just one afternoon. In fact, she's already talked to her daddy (Ba Ba) on the phone (about 3 a.m. his time!).

She's charmed everyone at the hotel, and she speaks both Mandarin and Cantonese. We had fun playing in the room and the hotel play area today. I have a short interview tomorrow morning with a government official. After that, our top priority is to buy her some real shoes. (They gave her to us in little boys light blue Converse high-tops!)

5 comments:

noturbettyhomemaker said...

That's so sweet--I love the pictures! (Apparently you had more success with downloading than I did!) She is adorable. I'm glad everything went so well. I just feel so overwhelmed--I can only imagine how you feel! Karin and I will send a care package of Karin's dolls and things she is now too old for. I will also buy her some shoes (I love to buy little girls' shoes!)--what size is she?
I'm just so happy for you!! You guys have fun!! It looks like the area of China you're in is beautiful.

Tina said...

Congratulations Laura! We talked to Zach yesterday and he was so excited about your meeting Maggie that he kept his phone with him at all times. Then we talked to John today and you could hear the love in his voice after talking with Maggie. Enjoy your visit and the fact that you are able to breath now! Can't wait to see Maggie. Love the Lester5

Amy said...

That's so amazing! We are so excited for you and love the pictures of Maggie. She sounds so smart and charming -- already picking up three languages!
I'm sure you and Moma will have a great time getting to know her over the next couple of weeks. Give her a hug from the three of us and tell her we can't wait to meet her!
Love, Amy, John and Alex

Amanda said...

She is too cute!! We have been checking the blog everyday to see new updates and pictures. We cannot wait to meet her in person!
Much love,
Amanda and Donna

Unknown said...

I am so excited to see the pictures and read the comments you have posted...I have just now checked email and got the link. Maggie is so precious and you all look so happy!! It sounds as though she has been well prepared and is totally ready to be the newest addition to the Green clan. I feel so sure that there is so much that is good and wonderful in store for you all. I can't wait for you to get home and continue building your wonderful family; you, David, Zach and now Maggie. Have tons of fun then hurry home!!